Monday, July 19, 2010

Travel The World




I was recently given the opportunity to review The Schoolhouse Planner June 2010 Module "Travel The World!" by The Old Schoolhouse Magazine I was excited to see that it focused on geography because I had been wanting to implement some geography study into our schooling. I couldn't find an age range recommendation so I quickly perused the material and found that it would suit all of my children who's ages range from 4yrs-9yrs old.

The module begins with an introduction to geography by explaining what geography is and how the Earth is shaped and how it rotates. It provided scripture verses to show how the Earth tells God's story. We had a globe to explore but for those who do not, a picture of a globe was provided. It discussed in a fun and simplistic style what the equator was and how latitude was used to show north and south and longitude showed east and west from the equator. My little ones were just as intrigued as my older children. It went on to explain how maps have special features that globes can not give us and talked about how God provided us the land and waters. It used fun songs to help children learn the continents and provided extra links and online games for locating countries in North America and labeling states and capitals.

It was packed with additional geography fun as well. Including extra links to games, quizzes, family fun, and homeschooling ideas. We created a fun lapbook to put together all that we had learned. I used the worksheets provided for my 8 and 9 yr old and the coloring worksheets for my little ones to color. For $7.95 this module was packed full of information to teach your little ones about geography. It was easy to download and didn't need any additional resources to teach it. I loved that it exposed the information in a fun, easy and entertaining manner. I didn't have to tweak it all for my younger children and it still held the attention of my older ones. I would highly recommend this to those wanting to implement some geography fun into their schooling.

I received this product free of charge for review purposes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment